End of year is a traditional time to reflect on past success, set future goals, and plan how to achieve those goals. And there is no shortage of blogs written, extolling the virtues for doing so.
Over the Thanksgiving holiday visiting extended family in a very small town in Kentucky, I searched for a location to purchase a Wall Street Journal. Alas, without success. But I did find the next to last copy of Investor’s Business Daily (IBD) at my last stop; just before giving up.
Turns out, IBD has spent years analyzing leaders and successful people in all walks of life. Most have 10 traits that, when combined, can turn dreams into reality. As I read the 10 traits, it seemed obvious these 10 traits directly align with successful business owners, CEOs and Presidents of VAR and MSP organizations. So, without further delay, those 10 traits are:
- How You Think is Everything: Always be positive. Think success, not failure. Beware of a negative environment.
- Decide Upon Your True Dreams and Goals: Write down your specific goals and develop a plan to reach them.
- Take Action: Goals are nothing without action. Don’t be afraid to get started. Just do it.
- Never Stop Learning: Go back to school or read books. Get training and acquire skills.
- Be Persistent and Work Hard: Success is a marathon, not a sprint. Never give up.
- Learn to Analyze Details: Get all the facts, all the input. Learn from your mistakes.
- Focus Your Time and Money: Don’t let other people or things distract you.
- Don’t Be Afraid to Innovate; Be Different: Following the herd is a sure way to mediocrity.
- Deal and Communicate With People Effectively: No person is an island. Learn to understand and motivate others.
- Be Honest and Dependable; Take Responsibility: Otherwise, Nos. 1 – 9 won’t matter.
A personal observation is these traits are specific in form, heavy on common sense (and not requiring an MBA from an ivy league school to understand or execute), and seem obvious. As any successful business owner (or investor) will tell you, strong execution is also what sets you apart from the competition.
Our client’s growth and innovation drive the foundation of our growth and success. We have said this before, and we will continue to say this; Thank you to all our clients over the years who have continued to innovate and grow. We wish you the best of success with year-end sales and execution of next year’s plans!
If upgrading or adding technical staff members is on your strategic plan, VAR Staffing welcomes the opportunity to share best practices and work with you.