There are some trends that, despite spending a decade in the IT channel, are as crucial to businesses as ever before. This has become evident in areas like IT security. Dependence on technology has made securing devices and the network crucial.
IT research firm CompTIA released its 10th Annual Information Security Trends, finding that having talent and resources for IT security has become a top priority for many IT Principals. Seth Robinson – a CompTIA contributor – recapped the survey in a blog post for the site.
"[The] study comes at a time of dramatic change in the IT industry," wrote Robinson. "Cloud computing, mobility and Big Data are altering the landscape and ingraining technology in business operations like never before. Yet security remains a high priority, even among these more trendy topics. Four out of five companies place a higher priority on security today than they did two years ago, and PricewaterhouseCoopers estimates that global cybersecurity spending hit $60 billion in 2011."
Robinson goes on to say that the current hot trends in IT are what is pushing the need for added security. While cloud computing, mobile devices and social networks are changing the way many businesses operate on a daily basis, they are also opening up companies to a barrage of potential network problems like malware and security breaches.
These issues are not all based on technology. According to the study, human error accounts for 54 percent of security breaches. Technology glitches account for the other 46 percent. On top of that, carelessness among employees or IT staff rank as the top sources for human mistakes. Lack of security expertise is also near the top of the list.
IT Principals need to be prepared to combat security concerns and Solution Providers can become the go-to resource for companies that need a hand.