Articles have been published ad nauseam outlining the challenge of hiring competent IT talent, as well as the growing skills gap resulting from the frenetic pace of technology evolution; and we must confess, VAR Staffing has also jumped on that same publishing band wagon every now and then.
However, an interesting report recently published by CompTIA characterized the challenge with a few unique perspectives: Several key points included:
- Skills gap has become somewhat of a catch-all term to describe a range of workforce concerns.
- Despite the consequences, most organizations do not have a formal strategy to address skills gaps.
- The cybersecurity skills gap is especially problematic.
- The multifaceted nature of skills gaps requires an equally diverse set of solutions.
VAR Staffing wrestles the challenge of identifying capable technical talent every day servicing our client’s technical recruiting needs. A few obvious approaches will help your technical staff keep pace with the tech evolution.
Check out these 5 simple tips for MSP’s, VAR’s, and Service Providers:
- Use 3rd party technical education classes or vendor certification programs to upgrade the technical skills of your staff.
- Hold monthly “breakfast / lunch & learn” sessions conducted by either a vendor or internal employee specialists.
- Take advantage of free online courses in a formal, scheduled manner to reinforce the necessity of keeping tech skills current.
- Encourage “self-learning” by employees and reward their progress with small flexible perks or company recognition.
- Provide tuition reimbursement for relevant classes from universities or colleges
We hope you find value in the CompTIA report. If VAR Staffing can assist with your technical recruiting / staffing challenges, we welcome a discussion regarding your specific needs.